Sunday 10 November 2013

The cold season

Being sick is a strange thing. People with the same disease lament different things sometimes. Or then again people with different illnesses have the same issues. For me the worst is the sense of being crippled. I don't mean this in the physical sense. Of course a cold, a flu, or even a more sever lung inflammation doesn't make you unable to move around and get things done. But in those periods my attention span becomes much-much shorter than usual. It is just hard to get things done.

Earlier when I became ill I just tried to ignore it as long as it was possible. This was okay around 10-12 years ago when my body somehow managed to draw an unknown resources and get through such periods. But nowadays I have to pursue a different strategy. When I notice that my immune system is in trouble again and won't hold against the attack I just switch to defense. I do minimal work - only the absolutely inevitable. I stay at home, have tea, do relaxing things like reading a good literature book, talking a bit with friends, have a proper cooking afternoon or read a few good poems. And sleep a lot. And hope that the storm will pass soon, the sky will clear, and I wake up feeling energetic and ready to complete all the items in the notebook.

Sadly, these passing sicknesses also affect my blogging. As much as I would have loved to update more often and finish three entries (one on the Hungarian exhibition at the Venice Biennale, one on philosophy of action, and one on feminism) I had to postpone writing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment