Sunday 10 November 2013

Karoly Kernstock's paintings

Kernstock was a member of the group called 'The Eight', active at beginning of the Twentieth century in Hungary. They were a revolutionary group, and Kernstock played an important role in holding the eight differing characters together. I won't go into the details - partly because I'm still tired from being sick, partly because I have some friends and colleagues who know so much more about The Eight than do I that it would put me to shame if they read this. If you want to get a taste of what the exhibition was like in Budapest, at Museum of Fine Arts check out this nice account based on first-hand experience, by Stefan Van Drake. What I do want to share with you are some of my favourite Kernstock paintings.



Park detail (1908-1910?)



On the way home



Cardboard of the Glasswindows in the Schiffer Villa (1911)


No comments:

Post a Comment