Sunday 13 December 2015

Neglecting the bad guys

This year was pretty much about douchebags being on the rise, employing the same media strategy. The strategy has been described by hundreds of experts in interviews, studies, reports, etc. and it can be summarized like this:
'Do something so outrageous that everybody talks about you. No matter what it is. Appeal to the most radical and crazy people. You will find followers, and even sane people will feel that they need to take a position on your view. Hence, you can shape the debate and the positions, get a lot of attention and due to conformism even convert people to follow you.'
This is what ISIS did, this is what Trump does, and this is what Fidesz is doing in Hungary.

I've written before that one of the main points of defeating entities and people who employ this strategy is not to react to them. Well, two things on that. First, I have violated that rule myself. Fidesz did manage to get me so annoyed that I wrote about them again. I promise I won't do that anymore, unless something truly significant happens. The other one was, that when I wrote 'don't react to them' I meant not to get into a debate with them. and not to write about them, not to report on them in the media. But of course we should take practical steps to counter them and defeat them.
So, from now on I'll mostly focus on suggestions on how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment